It’s time to dust off the cobwebs on this site. Had to remove some of the links on the left, and over time, I hope to add on some that are more current and relevant to my life right now. So what’s new:
- I left Singapore in 2012, at the request of my husband, and it was mainly so that he can return to his company’s HQ.
- I have been living in Marin county. First at Larkspur, and earlier this year, we moved to downtown San Rafael to be closer to amenities (the Singaporean in me needs to be close to something!) I have to say that we are lucky to have found a place near 2 Asian supermarkets, Trader Joe and Whole Foods.
- I am working in a very prestigious consulting firm at the San Francisco financial district, and so far, my Singaporean work ethic has paid off. That, as well as attending our yearly company retreats at Terranea Resort have been the highlight of my tenure. My colleagues are mostly MD/PHD-holders, elite ivy league grads and yet some of the nicest, most genuine people I have ever met.
- I paid my first federal + state tax to Uncle Sam, and the amount was not pretty. In this case, the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.
- It’s apparently not too late to enjoy Disneyland, and we enjoyed it FOC! #gratismuch
- We survived our first San Diego Comic Con! I hope to write a guide on how to survive your first SDCC, though I feel this guide could be summed up in 3 words: Foldable Lawn Chairs.
- Living in the Bay Area = attending a variety of music festivals (Bottlerock Napa, Rock The Bells, Outside Lands, etc), quirky parades (Bay to Breakers, Pride, Cherry Blossom, Carnaval, etc) and lots of notable sporting events (Golden State Warrior, SF Giants, Oakland As, San Jose Earthquake, Real Madrid vs Inter Milan, USA vs Azerbaijian, etc). Photo albums and pictures can be found on my Google+ and Instagram.
There are tons to talk about, but the above pretty much sums it up. I will make it a point to consistently update this blog. I feel there are some wisdom I can share regarding:
- Immigration process (how to not screw up your visa application like I did)
- Frugal, hipster-ish living in the US (basic necessities can be more expensive in California!)
- Maybe shopping tips here and there
- Some travel tips (how to be TSA-smart)
- Surviving a US workplace (where termination can happen in the blink of an eye)
- How a Singaporean can learn to integrate into the society here (nothing too major, but there are unspoken things every Singaporean planning to live here need to take note or abide by)
- My current obsessions – hemp seed oil, TV series Outlander and Masters of Sex, Uber (since 2013), and coming soon, cat cafes/parks
As always, I will
quality-rant about Liverpool FC, football and sports from time to time. The activist in me might even cover some sensitive topics. Feel free to get in touch with me if you are eager to find out more about any of the mentioned topics/events. Till next time…